The challenge has landed some netizens, including children, in the hospital in excruciating pain.
Experts and users of social networks warn about the dangers of eating an extremely spicy potato chip as part of a viral challenge circulating on the Internet.
The challenge, known as the ‘One Chip Challenge’, consists of eating a single Paqui brand potato chip, refraining from drinking any liquid or eating anything else. The ingredients in that potato include two of the “hottest peppers on the planet,” the Carolina Reaper and Scorpion varieties “with a shocking twist, that will turn your tongue blue,” according to Paqui’s website.
TikTok user @angela_b157 posted a now viral recording of her niece in the hospital after attempting the challenge. The video has amassed 10.7 million views and has spawned several follow-up videos explaining the unfolding of the terrifying situation.
Although after trying the ‘chip’ everything seems normal, in a later video, the girl explains that as time passed, the burn increased and made her cry. She eventually had to be taken to the hospital, where she was given different medications that took hours to relieve her intense stomach pains.
Medical experts and social media users who have attempted the spicy challenge warn of the potential danger of this trend, which has reportedly landed some netizens, including children, in the hospital in excruciating pain.
Last January it was reported that several high school students from the US city of Lodi, California, were hospitalized after completing the same challenge.
According to Dr. Bret Christiansen, these peppers are about 400 times hotter than a jalapeno, since the heat scale of both the Carolina Reaper and Scorpion varieties is approximately 2 million Scoville units, while that of the jalapeno is around 5,000. The consequences for those who decide to submit to the challenge of the ‘One Chip Challenge’ could be serious, warned the doctor.