Addressing the media,ODM’s Secretary announced that they will not be providing any candidate for the two upcoming bi-election of the Kahawa ward and the Lake view ward.
This is days after the jubilee party withdrew out of the Msambweni bi elections in favor of ODM. This decision was announced by Jubilee’s Secretary General Raphael tuju terming their decision ‘In favor of ODM”. He says Jubilee has focused on more essential subjects. Among them is their interest in what decision the president will be make involving parliament dissolution.“The decision not to engage in the contest is informed by the facts prevailing at the moment when we face challenges like the recent advisory by the Chief Justice that parliament should be dissolved, ” Tuju had earlier said.
Tuju said that they will not challenge for the seat as it was initially occupied by an ODM candidate. He says the party is also not prepared due to unprecedented cooperation between the two parties in the recent past. He also said he wanted to make the announcement early enough so jubilee aspirants who were eyeing for the seat to look at other options.
The Msambweni seat was left vacant after the death of Msambweni’s Member of Parliament (MP) Suleiman Dori. The MP died at Agakhan Hospital in Mombasa earlier this year due to cancer and other complications.
The elections are set to take place on December 15, 2020 as announces by the IEBC( International Electoral Boundary Commission ). Other bi-election will also happen concurrently with the Msambweni seat.
The two parties appears to be working together lately in the spirit of the ‘handshake’.In response to this, ODM has also announced they made a decision to pull out of the two wards bi-elections. The party’s Secretary said that since the initial MPs were from jubilee they will not endorse any aspirants to vie for the seats.
The late Karanja Mburu initially occupied the Lake view ward seat. He passed on earlier this year of a fractured lung leading to internal bleeding after an accident. His counterpart Cyrus Omondi Odhiambo who represented the ward seat of Kahawa Wendani died in February this year. He was found dead in a hotel in Mumbai India.ODM had earlier expressed their interest in the seat and advised any interested applicants to register. The National Executive council had announced earlier this year.
The move by ODM party comes across as a courtesy over jubilee’s retraction from the Msambweni seat. He however confirmed that the party had received a couple of applications from interested parties for all the five empty seats. The decision was made after a two day retract in Machakos county.
He told all the aspirants that the only tickets that will be issued would only be applications for Wundanya/Mbale ward in Taita Taveta. He thanked Jubilee party leader Uhuru Kenyatta for not endorsing any candidate for the Msambweni seat.
The Deputy president however did not seem to concede with the decision made by the party and the leader for failing to appoint an aspirant from jubilee. He insists that Jubilee is a National Party that believes in unity and hence it was only fair and right that every party be given the same opportunity. He cited that every Kenya is ought to be given an opportunity to express themselves and in this case through participating in elections.
He however said he had a different view on the way they handled the matter but had later on been briefed on the matter and has now decided to stand with the groups decision.”I had a different view on fielding a candidate in Musabweni but I came here and I have been briefed about the decision that has been made and I want to assure the party membership that we stand by it,” the DP said