President Joe Biden on Wednesday officially vetoed a bill that would block his tax forgiveness program. student debt, criticizing lawmakers who supported the bill for what he called an “unprecedented attempt to deny critical relief to millions of his own constituents.”
The bill, which passed Congress earlier this month with the support of some moderate Democrats, sought to block the student loan forgiveness program, which promises to cancel up to $20,000 of debt for millions of borrowers. No debt has yet been cancelled, while the program faces legal challenges.
In a video announcing his ban on Wednesday, Biden promised he would continue efforts to achieve student loan forgiveness.
“I will not back down from my efforts to help tens of millions and working-class families. That’s why I’m going to veto this bill.” Biden said. “And don’t forget that some of the same members of Congress who want to cut student aid personally received loans to keep their small businesses afloat during the pandemic.”
The veto is the fifth of the Biden presidency.
President Joe Biden has issued the following vetoes, according to Ballotpedia:
• May 25, 2023: HJRes.42 – Disapproval of the District of Columbia Council’s action in passing the Comprehensive Police and Justice Reform Act of 2022.
• May 16, 2023: HJ Res.39 – Disapproval of the rule filed by the Department of Commerce regarding “Proceedings Covering Stay of Liquidation, Duties, and Estimated Duties Pursuant to Presidential Proclamation 10414.”
• April 6, 2023: HJ Res.27 – Provide Congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the rule submitted by the Department of the Army, Corps of Engineers, Department of Defense, and the Environmental Protection Agency relating to ‘Revised Definition of’ Waters of the United States’”.
• March 20, 2023: HJRes.30: Provision for Congressional disapproval of the rule submitted by the Department of Labor related to “Prudence and loyalty in the selection of plan investments and exercise of shareholder rights”
– Senate passes bill to void Biden’s student debt forgiveness
– Biden administration remains optimistic about student loan forgiveness, despite discouragement from the Supreme Court
– Supreme Court puts Biden’s proposed student debt forgiveness on hold
Source: La Opinion