Ten Los Angeles students apparently overdosed on edible cannabis products at their San Fernando Valley high school Thursday, authorities said.
The students, ages 12 to 15, were in mild to moderate distress at Van Nuys High School around 10:30 a.m., according to the Los Angeles Fire Department. Seven of them were transferred to pediatric medical centers.
Los Angeles Fire Department Capt. Erik Scott said the overdoses were possibly from edible cannabis products and investigators were trying to determine if the 10 students obtained the substances from the same source.
Christopher Angel, 12, told the Los Angeles Times that three people in his class were affected.
“They were acting strange, they looked exhausted, drugged,” he said.
Firefighters searched the campus to make sure there were no more sick students, Scott said.
Staff were able to determine that the substance was not related to fentanyl, a highly addictive and potentially fatal drug, and paramedics failed to administer naloxone, an opioid overdose-reversal drug, authorities said.
The Los Angeles Unified School District said in a statement that medical assistance was requested “out of an abundance of caution” but that the campus remained “safe and open for instruction.”
No further information was available at this time.
Source: El Nuevo Herald