More
    NewsSouth AfricaRiots in South Africa continue with 32 deaths

    Riots in South Africa continue with 32 deaths

    Unrest continued Tuesday in South Africa, where the death toll rose to 32 people. Police and the army were trying to curb looting and violence in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal provinces.

    Many of the deaths occurred in chaotic stampedes as scores of people looted food, household appliances, alcoholic drinks and clothes in shopping malls, KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala told reporters on Tuesday.

    Yesterday’s events brought much sadness. The number of people who have died in KwaZulu-Natal alone is 26. Many were trampled to death during a stampede as people looted items, Zikalala said.

    Read Also:   Barrett's confirmation is a political affair; Senators look for immediate gains

    Six people died in Gauteng, South Africa’s most populous province and which includes the country’s largest city, Johannesburg, officials said.

    The deployment of 2,500 soldiers to reinforce South African police did not stop the rampant looting, although arrests were made in some areas of Johannesburg, such as Volsoorus, in the east of the metropolis.

    Looting continued in Johannesburg on Tuesday at regional shopping malls such as Jabulani Mall and Dobsonville Mall in Soweto. More looters were also reported in centers in KwaZulu-Natal.

    Read Also:   Nigeria: Federal Government Terminates Import Duty on Medical Supplies

    The violence began last week in protests against the jailing of former president Jacob Zuma, who began serving a 15-month prison sentence for contempt of court. He was convicted for defying a court order to testify before a government-backed inquiry into allegations of corruption during his tenure as president between 2009 and 2018.

    Sporadic pro-Zuma violence led to a spate of robberies in poor areas of the two provinces, according to witnesses. For the moment the phenomenon has not spread to the country’s other nine provinces.

    Read Also:   India: Will the Modi government itself turn 'disaster into an opportunity?'

    Zuma on Monday asked the Constitutional Court, the country’s highest court, to rescind his conviction. His lawyer argued that the high court made mistakes in sentencing the former president to prison. After 10 hours of testimony on Monday, court judges said they would study the arguments and announce their decision at a later date.

    Robert David
    Robert Davidhttps://awutar.com/author/robert/
    Robert David is a journalist of Awutar. If you want to get in touch with him write via: [email protected]

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Subscribe & Get Latest News

    FOLLOW US

    25,842FansLike
    341FollowersFollow
    641FollowersFollow
    349FollowersFollow
    1,883FollowersFollow
    4,213SubscribersSubscribe