The Iranian government on Tuesday called on the White House to return to the 2015 nuclear deal “without conditions” and “not to complicate the path to diplomacy” to resolve the situation arising from Washington’s exit from the pact in 2018 and its reimposition of sanctions on Tehran.
“I must remember that for the past four years it has been Iran that has left the way open for diplomacy and today it is they (the United States) who must take the first step in diplomacy,” said Iranian Executive Spokesman Ali Rabiei.
He stressed that many countries are trying to restore the agreement and added that this could be achieved “in the near future”, since it is “the only way” to guarantee the interests of all, according to the Iranian news agency Mehr.
Rabiei’s words have come a day after Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Said Khatibzade stressed that Washington “has been driving in the opposite direction for years” regarding the 2015 nuclear deal and called again for the withdrawal of sanctions as a necessary step to return to compliance with the pact.
Iranian authorities have so far announced the withdrawal of their commitments on several of the agreement’s points, prompting fears among the other signatories of a possible collapse of the pact. However, Tehran has always maintained that these steps can be reversed if the United States withdraws the sanctions and returns to the agreement.