Seven people died and 21 others seriously injured in the derailment of a London tram in 2016. The driver was acquitted by the courts.
A tram driver, tried for an accident in which seven passengers were killed in 2016 in London, was acquitted on Monday by British justice.
In addition to these deaths, 21 people were seriously injured in the tram derailment on November 9, 2016 in the south of the British capital. Both oars had rolled onto their sides after rolling off the rails.
Three times faster than the authorized speed
The accident took place on a bend where the speed was limited to 20 km/h. But the driver, Alfred Dorris, was driving three times faster according to what was said during the trial.
This 49-year-old man appeared very moved at the announcement of his acquittal. He denied at trial that he was taking a ‘micro-nap’ during the crash and said he was ‘disoriented’ as he approached the bend, blaming the lighting, bad weather and darkness this morning.
“A bad day for him, but much worse for seven other people”
After the announcement of the acquittal, Joe Collett, whose brother Donald died in the accident, said he was “very disappointed”. “The only one who knows what happened and knows the truth is Alfred Dorris,” he told reporters.
“He had already done the trip several thousand times and that day was a bad day for him, but much worse for seven other people,” continued Joe Collett.
The companies Transport for London (TfL) and Tram Operations Limited (ToL), which have admitted offenses, will know their sentence later.
Source: BFM TV