An earthquake of magnitude 6.8 on the Richter scale hit the country, with an epicenter located 200km south of Marrakech. Carole Delga, Gilles Simeoni and Renaud Muselier have announced aid to support the country.
Occitania, the community of Corsica and the Provence-Alpes-Côte-d’Azur (PACA) region pledged on Saturday to provide one million euros in humanitarian aid for the victims of Morocco hit by a powerful earthquake that had caused hundreds of victims.
“One million euros will be directly committed, depending of course on the needs that will be expressed by Morocco, in favor of the victims of the earthquake and for the reconstruction of the country”, announced in a joint press release the presidents of these regions, respectively Carole Delga, Gilles Simeoni and Renaud Muselier.
“Strengthened by ancient, privileged and living Mediterranean ties, our three Mediterranean regions are immediately committed, together, alongside the Kingdom of Morocco and express their total solidarity with this friendly country”, they indicated.
Especially for “the upcoming reconstruction effort”
“In the short term, we are available to intervene together in favor of emergency humanitarian aid. In the same way, with the whole of the associative world, we want to target medical support in Morocco, to help the wounded and to the victims in this very difficult period which is beginning,” they said.
“Finally, this financial commitment will concern the future reconstruction effort, both urban and agricultural, and we already know that the needs will be many,” they added.
At least 820 people died in a powerful earthquake that struck Morocco overnight from Friday to Saturday, causing enormous damage and sowing panic in Marrakech, a tourist hotspot, and several other cities, according to a new official report .
Marseille firefighters ready to leave
The mayor of Marseille, Benoît Payan, told him on X (previously Twitter) that Marseille and its firefighters will participate in the effort of the international community to come to the aid of the affected populations.
Contacted by AFP, the Marseille firefighters indicated that they had been contacted and that a census of available personnel was underway.
“The staff of the South zone of civil security asked us to identify any personnel available in terms of rescue and clearing”, also indicated the firefighters of Herault.
Source: BFM TV