It is one of the largest ballistic missile submarines in the world and is capable of carrying more than 20 Trident-II rockets.
An American nuclear submarine has made stopover in the South Korean port of Busan for the first time in decades, the Indo-Pacific coordinator for the US National Security Council said Tuesday, kurt campbellafter co-chairing the inaugural session of the Nuclear Advisory Group, Yonhap reports.
He USS Kentucky, 170 meters long, entered a key naval base in Busan, 320 kilometers southeast of Seoul. It is one of the largest ballistic missile submarines in the world and is capable of carrying more than 20 Trident-II rockets.
The Nuclear Consultative Group was created in April during the meeting held in Washington between the President of South Korea, Yoon Suk-yeol, and his American counterpart, Joe Biden, for greater military coordination between the two countries, especially in matters of nuclear deterrence.
In the final declaration of the summit, the US also promised to send the Asian country a ballistic missile submarine nuclear capable.
“Nuclear War Plot”
At the time, Pyongyang said the document amounted to “a dangerous nuclear war plot under the pretext of security”.
Likewise, last week, the North Korean Defense Ministry reiterated its position on the matter, warning that such actions by Washington and Seoul “could incite the worst crisis of nuclear conflict“.
North Korea has pointed out on more than one occasion that the US escalates tensions on the peninsula by conducting joint military exercises with South Korea. Despite this, last Sunday, Washington, Seoul and Tokyo carried out new anti-missile defense military maneuvers in international waters of the Sea of Japan.
The drills took place days after the launch of a intercontinental ballistic missile solid fuel hwasong-18 Made by North Korea. From Pyongyang they affirmed that the test serves as a “strong warning” so that “the enemies clearly realize once again how risky and reckless their military option is” against the country.